Piano Students at Appalachian enjoy performing on three concert grand pianos available in the Recital Hall and Rosen Concert Hall. Grand pianos are maintained in several practice rooms of the Broyhill Music Center that are reserved for piano student practice and rehearsal. Piano majors and principals often perform with soloists and chamber groups and are encouraged to do so.
The concert organ is Casavant Freres’ Opus 3579 (PDF), designed and built in 1984 for the Rosen Concert Hall. The organ has four divisions and fifty-one ranks for a total of 2831 pipes. The electropneumatic action is controlled by a three-manual and pedal moveable console, containing a full complement of couplers, pistons, swell pedal, crescendo pedal, and other assists. One practice pipe organ is also available for student use.
The School of Music also owns two harpsichords for student rehearsals and performances; the concert instrument was built by Richard Kingston.
Auditions for Scholarship and Admission
All students wishing to enter the School of Music must successfully complete an audition on their principal instrument. The School of Music schedules four audition dates each year. In addition, individual appointments are possible. To schedule an audition, call the School of Music office (828) 262-3020. Suggested compositions for admission and scholarship auditions in piano:
- A composition by J. S. Bach. This might include an Invention, Prelude and Fugue from the Well-Tempered Clavier, or a composition from the Short Preludes and Fugues.
- A sonata or sonatina movement by Haydn, Mozart, or Beethoven.
- A 19th or 20th century composition by such composers as Chopin, Schubert, Schumann, Liszt, Brahms, Debussy, Bartok, Kabalevsky, Prokofiev, Ravel.
- Students will also be required to play scales and sightread a simple composition. Memorization is preferred, but not required.
Audition requirements for organ:
- One composition from before 1800.
- Two pieces in contrasting styles composed after 1800. At least one of these should be from the 20th century.
- Hymns, service music, or technical exercises will be acceptable if the student does not have sufficient repertoire to meet the above requirements.
- Organ auditions may be set up for any date by contacting Dr. Joby Bell at email@example.com.