Music Theory Pedagogy Online
Music Theory Pedagogy Online is sponsored by the The Gail Boyd de Stwolinski Center for Music Theory Pedagogy at the University of Oklahoma.
In 2010, a collaborative effort was mounted, approval secured, and funding provided by the Gail Boyd de Stwolinski Center for Music Theory Pedagogy at the University of Oklahoma to develop a website that serves as a repository for all things relating to music theory pedagogy.
All JMTP articles and all E-journal articles are available for download from this site at no charge. Please check the articles section to see the content that has been moved to date. If additional articles are needed during this time of transition, please contact Jena Root at email@example.com or Jennifer Snodgrass at firstname.lastname@example.org. While all material is available online at no charge, several copies of each volume will be published in hard copy. For information regarding print copies for libraries and individuals, please email Jena Root or Jennifer Snodgrass.
Submit articles or resources via our online submission form.
The Gail Boyd de Stwolinski Center at the University of Oklahoma
The Journal of Music Theory Pedagogy is a project of the Gail Boyd de Stwolinski Center for Music Theory Pedagogy at the University of Oklahoma. The Center was established in 1985 to provide an international clearinghouse for information concerning the teaching and learning of music theory. In addition, the Center was established to honor Dr. Gail Boyd de Stwolinski for professional contributions over a 38-year teaching career and, especially, to perpetuate her intense commitment to excellence in teaching. The fundamental purpose of the Gail Boyd de Stwolinski Center is to foster the vital and creative contributions from outstanding teachers of music theory and share that information with the profession. In short, it is our desire to identify and elevate what is good about our profession--and in so doing, improve it. Read more about the center and its history.
Steven Laitz, Executive Editor (The Juilliard School)
Journal of Music Theory Pedagogy Editorial Board
- William Marvin, Co-Editor (Eastman School of Music)
- Elizabeth Sayrs, Co-Editor (Ohio University)
- Mary Arlin (Ithaca College, Emerita)
- Brian Alegant (Oberlin College Conservatory)
- Miguel A. Roig-Francoli (Cincinnati Conservatory)
- Michael Callahan (Michigan State University)
- Philip Chang, Reviews Editor (University of Colorado, Boulder)
- Rebecca Jemian (University of Lousiville)
- Edward Klorman (Aaron Copeland School, Queen's College)
- Stefan Kostka (University of Texas, Austin, Emeritus)
- Phillip Lambert (CUNY-Baruch College)
- Joel Phillips (Rider University)
- Gordon Sly (Michigan State University)
- Jennifer Snodgrass (Appalachian State University)
- Joseph Straus (CUNY-Graduate Center)
- Paula Telesco (University of Massachusetts, Lowell)
The Website Editorial Board (E-Journal, Resources, Demonstrations)
- Jena Root, Co-Chair (Youngstown State University)
- Jennifer Snodgrass, Co-Chair (Appalachian State University)
- Patricia Burt (Harford Community College)
- David Castro (St. Olaf College)
- John Check (University of Central Missouri)
- Frank Doyle (Northport High School, Long Island)
- Melissa Hoag (Oakland University)
- Bryn Hughes (University of Lethbridge)
- Greg McCandless (Appalachian State University)
- Daniel Stevens (University of Delaware)
- Loretta Terrigno (The Juilliard School)
- Alan Theisen (Mars Hill College)
- David Marvel (University of Tennessee)