Dr. Virginia Wary Linney, M.MUS.
Virginia Wary Linney (June 1, 1901-April 7, 1991), late college professor, was born in Hastings, NE, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. K. Wendell Wary. Linney attended high school in Nebraska. She was married to the late Kenneth B. Linney.
Linney received her public school music certificate in piano and voice in 1922 from Doane College in Crete, NE. She then enrolled at the University School of Music in Lincoln, NE, where she earned her B.M. in piano and voice in 1925.
In 1926, Linney became a faculty member at Graceland College in Lamoni, IA, where she taught piano and theory until 1928. For the next year she studied under Rudolph Ganz at the Chicago Music College.
Linney came to Appalachian State Teachers College (now Appalachian State University) in 1929 to teach music. She worked closely with Drs. J.D. Rankin and Chapell Wilson in the development of the music department. Linney was appointed to the graduate faculty in 1956 and was promoted to professor in 1959.
Linney received her M.Mus. in Musicology from the Cincinnati Conservatroy of Music (now a part of the University of Cincinnati) in 1940. Linney also studied voice under artist-teacher Walter Golde from 1956-58 and under Radiance Pazmar in 1966.
During World War II, Mrs. Linney served with the American Red Cross.
Professionally, Linney was a member of the National Music Education Association, North Carolina Education Association, Sigma Alpha Iota National Music Sorority, and National Association of Teachers of Singing for which she served on the National Workshop Committee and appeared in the summer workshop program in Nashville, TN. Mrs. Linney also served as regional governor of the Southeastern Region of the National Association of Teachers of Singing in 1960. She was invited into Who’s Who in 1956.
Linney was a member of the Boone United Methodist Church and served as its choir director for many years.
Linney retired from her position at Appalachian State in 1967 after 39 years of service to the institution. Linney was asked to return to the faculty for the 1967-68 academic year until a replacement could be found for her position. Mrs. Linney was granted emeriti status by the Board of Trustees in 1968 in recognition of her outstanding contributions to the University.