Amber Joy Koeppen, Harp
Amber Joy Koeppen (Carpenter) is a harpist and vocalist and an avid teacher in both disciplines. She has received degrees in Harp Performance and Vocal Pedagogy from UNC Charlotte and a Masters in Music from the University of Michigan.
As a solo performer, she has been a prize winner in a number of national and international harp competitions, including being awarded First Place in the Rosen-Schaffel Competition for Young and Emerging Artists. As a recipient of this award, she has twice been a guest concerto artist with the Eastern Music Festival Orchestra under the direction of Gerard Schwarz. In addition to her extensive solo work, Mrs. Koeppen has also performed with the New York City Ballet, the Battle Creek Symphony Orchestra, the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra, and the Union Symphony Orchestra, as well as various chamber groups. She has performed across the United States and abroad, including the World Harp Congress in Sydney, Australia, and has lectured at the WAAE music education conference in Auckland, New Zealand.
Mrs. Koeppen also maintains an active teaching career. She has taught at various summer music programs including Interlochen Center for the Arts and the American Harp Society’s Camp Innovation, and she has helped to found and run Brush Strokes and Music Notes’ summer program for children which incorporates a diverse body of students from various backgrounds in a week of arts and music immersion. She has been the Music Director and a member of the vocal and harp faculty of GreenSpring International Academy of Music and also has a private music studio offering harp and voice lessons to both children and adults. Her students are active musicians who have been accepted into notable music programs, performed in venues such as the White House and Biltmore Estate, and have been prize winners in solo competitions.
Mrs. Koeppen is on the harp faculty at Appalachian State University and also serves as the Executive Director for the Brush Strokes and Music Notes Foundation.
Harp at Appalachian State University
- Music Degree Programs (Undergraduate)
- Music Degree Programs (Graduate)
- Certificate of Recognition in Performance
- Music Minor
- Opportunities for Non-majors
- Cannon Music Camp - A summer camp for high school musicians, now in its 52nd year! June 25 - July 16, 2022.
- Community Music School - Offering private lessons to the community throughout the year. Ms. Koeppen teaches harp for the Community Music School at the Professional rate (see the CMS Private Lessons page for more details).
Learn more about the Hayes School of Music!
- Prospective Students
- Performances - Visit us for a performance or watch our live-streamed concerts. The Hayes School of Music presents approximately 200 concerts and recitals each year.