Wednesday is the last day of classes for the Spring 2017 semester. This week also includes a few final concerts (see EVENTS), Reading Day, and the beginning of Finals Week.
EVENTS For complete listings of performances, including student degree recitals and details about live audio/video stream availability, please see the HSoM Calendar: https://music.appstate.edu/news-events/performance-calendar and http://music.appstate.edu/news-events/live-streams
Appalachian Chorale performs Tuesday, May 2, at 8 pm, in Rosen.
Deans' Student Advisory Council meets Wednesday, May 3, at 5 pm.
The Hayes String Quartet performs Wednesday, May 3, at 6 pm, in the Recital Hall.
Cornocopia (the horn studio recital) occurs Wednesday, May 3, at 8 pm, in Rosen.
Thursday, May 4, is Reading Day.
Final exams occur Friday, May 5, and Monday-Thursday, May 8-11.
The HSoM Advisory Board meets Friday, May 12.
The HSoM Graduate Hooding ceremony occurs Friday, May 12, at 12:30 pm, in the Recital Hall.
HSoM Commencement occurs Friday, May 12, at 2 pm, in Rosen Concert Hall.
Final grades are due Monday, May 15, by noon.
KUDOS AND OTHER NEWS AND EVENTS
HSoM faculty clarinetist Andrea Cheeseman performed recently at the annual Society of Electroacoustic Music in the United States (SEAMUS) conference held on the campus of St. Cloud State University. Works she performed include: Broken Computer by Patrick Reed, Darl by Elliott Grabill and Tempora Mutantur by Chin Ting Chan.
HSoM faculty music therapist Katurah Christenbury, MMT, MT-BC has published "I Will Follow You: The Combined Use of Songwriting and Art to Promote Healing in a Child Who Has Been Traumatized," in Music Therapy Perspectives, the clinical-oriented journal published by the American Music Therapy Association.
HSoM Graduate Music Education alumnus Harrison Grant Poole authored an article published in General Music Today. The article is entitled "Repurposing Principles and Successful Pedagogical Techniques from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood for the Early Childhood Music Classroom." http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1048371317705162
HSoM faculty sound recording specialist Scott Wynne reports the following Music Industries Studies—Recording and Production students' internships for Summer 2017:
- Christopher Antry(2020): Intern- Engine Room Audio. New York City, NY
- Brian McKenzie(2017): Audio Internship- The Bluecoats Drum and Bugle Corp. Canton, OH
- Graham Sloboda(2017): Asst Engineer- Aspen Music Festival and School. Aspen, CO
- Adam Campbell(2018): Asst Engineer- Aspen Music Festival and School. Aspen, CO
- Henry Neal(2017): Intern- The Eagle Room. Asheville, NC
- Shea McKissack(2018): Stage Crew- Schaefer Center for the Performing Arts. Boone, NC; Stage Crew- Cannon Music Camp. Boone, NC
- Michael Leckrone(2018): Intern- Tranformation Church. Charlotte, NC
- Taylor Wafford(2018): Intern- Yep Roc Records. Hillsborough, NC
- Casey Wilcox(2019): Intern- Yep Roc Records. Hillsborough, NC
- Ana Dell(2019): Marketing Intern- Arts Council of Fayetteville/Cumberland County. Fayetteville, NC
- Savannah Smith(2018): Influencer Relations Intern- Superfly. New York City, NY
- Holly Leonard(2018): Human Resources Intern- Dani Felt Consultants. New York City, NY
- Chris McGurrin(2017): Social Media Intern- Marbaloo Marketing. Nashville, TN
- Nicole Grande(2018): Audio Intern- Barrington Stage Company. Pittsfield, MA
- Corey Halterman(2019): Intern- Forty-One Fifteen Recording Studio. Nashville, TN
- Sam Utz (2019): Musician- Lees McRae College Summer Theater Program. Banner Elk, NC
- Caleb Louie (2017): Intern- Osceola Recording Studio. Raleigh, NC
- Jon Michael Askew (2018): Stage Crew- Schaefer Center for the Performing Arts. Boone, NC
- Casey Wells (2018): Intern- Hybrid Audio Solutions. Charleston, SC
- Zach Dunham (2017): Intern- C3 Presents. Austin, TX
- Alexandria Smith (2018): Intern- John-Paul Buzard Pipe Organ Builders. Champaign, IL
- Steven Lease (2018): Stage Crew, FOH/Monitors- Soundwave Audio. Wilmington, NC; FOH Engineer- Givens Performing Arts Center. Pembroke, NC
- Andrew Scroggs (2017): Intern- Separk Music. Lewisville, NC
- Chase Hayes (2017): Licensing Intern- Mood Media Music. Austin, TX
- Jodhi Mather-Pike (2017): Intern- Bethel Music. Redding, CA
- Daniel Knight(2018): Stage Crew- Schaefer Center for the Performing Arts. Boone, NC
With best wishes for week fifteen of the Spring 2017 semester,
William L. Pelto, Ph.D.
Dean, Hayes School of Music
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608