1. Admission to the University
We recommend that students interested in programs in the Hayes School of Music submit an application for admission to Appalachian State University.
2. Vocal Audition Request Process
Prospective students of the Hayes School of Music who would like to study voice in any degree program (including Music Education, Music Industry Studies, Music Therapy, Music Performance, Music Theory and Composition, or Sacred Music) at the Hayes School of Music, must complete the following steps to be considered for a personal audition for the Vocal/Choral faculty of the Hayes School of Music. High school seniors, current ASU students, or transfer students applying as a Vocal Music major, follow the "Voice Audition" link in Number 2 below.
- Record a video performance of two selections chosen from this downloadable repertoire list (PDF, 105 KB). You should be accompanied by a pianist using a properly tuned piano or keyboard. Selections must be memorized. To download a step-by-step guide for your video audition, click here (PDF, 41 KB). An example of an acceptable audition performance can be seen here.
- Fill out the Vocal Audition Request Form.
- Be sure to click the "Save" button after uploading your video files. ***NOTE: Once the "Save" button is clicked, your application will be submitted and changes will no longer be possible. Carefully review your application for completeness and accuracy before clicking "Save"!
Video submission deadlines
- The vocal video submission deadline is Thursday, December 7, 2017 for consideration to audition on Saturday, January 21, 2018 or Saturday, January 28, 2018.
- The vocal video submission deadline is Saturday, February 3, 2018 for consideration to audition on Saturday, February 24, 2018.
- There must be a minimum period of six months between submission of audition videos. Late or incomplete application materials will not be considered.
Upon receipt of your materials and your video performance, expect to be notified within 14 days. If you are selected for a personal audition, you will receive an invitation from the Hayes School of Music with your audition date and time. On-campus (by invitation only) audition dates in Voice during the 2017-18 academic year are Saturday, January 20, 2018, Saturday, January 27, 2018, and Saturday, February 24, 2018. You will perform from memory one or both of your musical selections from your video recording. You may bring your own accompanist or one of our accompanists will be provided for a fee (presently $40.00 for your rehearsal and audition).
The voice faculty does not need a copy of your music on the day of your audition. If you are hiring an HSOM accompanist, they will bring your music to your rehearsal. However, it is recommended that you also bring a copy of your music for them.
The on-campus audition will also include tonal memory exercises and melodic and rhythmic sightreading.
You must demonstrate exceptional musical skills and a voice of sufficient quality and expressiveness in order to be admitted to your chosen degree program. Private piano study is highly recommended before entering Appalachian. Previous private voice study is not required, but encouraged.
3. Additional Admission Requirements
- Performance degree applicants must submit a resume along with your video.
- Music Therapy students are required to interview with Dr. Cathy McKinney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Composition/Theory majors must complete an interview and portfolio review. The portfolio, consisting of 2-4 compositions in any style, should be emailed to Dr. Ben Hjertmann at email@example.com (in PDF or MP3 format) at least one week in advance of the audition/interview.
- Music Industry Studies applicants must submit a paper copy of a resume and essay at the departmental meeting on the day of the audition.
- Music Education program applicants will be required to attend a departmental meeting on the day of the audition.
For an overview of our degree programs, see our Academics section.
Students auditioning on either Saturday, January 21, 2018 and Saturday, January 28, 2018 will be considered for scholarship money. Scholarships range from $500 to $7500 per academic year.