1. Admission to the University
We recommend that students interested in programs in the Hayes School of Music submit an application for admission to Appalachian State University.
2. Vocal Audition Request Process
Prospective students of the Hayes School of Music who would like to study voice in any degree program (including Music Education, Music Industry Studies, Music Therapy, Music Performance, Music Theory and Composition, or Sacred Music) at the Hayes School of Music must fill out an Audition Request Form. For your audition, choose two selections from this downloadable repertoire list (PDF, 105 KB).
On-campus auditions will be held on the following days:
Audition & Scholarship Schedule
- January 19, 2019 (Instrumental and Vocal Areas)
- January 26, 2019 (Instrumental and Vocal Areas)
- February 9, 2019 (Instrumental and Vocal Areas)
- February 23, 2019 (Instrumental and Vocal Areas; for Admission Only)
Prepare and plan to perform from memory both of your musical selections. You may bring your own accompanist or one of our accompanists will be provided for a fee (presently $40.00 for your rehearsal and audition).
The voice faculty does not need a copy of your music on the day of your audition. If you are hiring an HSOM accompanist, they will bring your music to your rehearsal. However, it is recommended that you also bring a copy of your music for them.
The audition will also include tonal memory exercises and melodic and rhythmic sightreading.
You must demonstrate exceptional musical skills and a voice of sufficient quality and expressiveness in order to be admitted to your chosen degree program. Private piano study is highly recommended before entering Appalachian. Previous private voice study is not required, but encouraged.
3. Additional Admission Requirements
- Performance degree applicants must submit a resume along with your video.
- Music Therapy students are required to interview with Dr. Cathy McKinney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Composition/Theory majors must complete an interview and portfolio review. The portfolio, consisting of 2-4 compositions in any style, should be emailed to Andrew Hannon at email@example.com (in PDF or MP3 format) at least one week in advance of the audition/interview.
- Music Industry Studies applicants must submit a paper copy of a resume and essay at the departmental meeting on the day of the audition.
- Music Education program applicants will be required to attend a departmental meeting on the day of the audition.
For an overview of our degree programs, see our Academics section.
Students auditioning on either Saturday, January 19, 2019, Saturday, January 26, 2019 and Saturday, February 9, 2019 will be considered for scholarship money. Scholarships range from $1,000 to $7,500 per academic year.