Auditions Required for Entry into All Degree Programs
All students, regardless of their chosen program of study, must audition for admission to the Hayes School of Music.
Students do not need to be accepted to Appalachian to audition. However, if you are accepted to the Hayes School of Music you must also be accepted to Appalachian State University.
Audition & Scholarship Schedule
- January 18, 2020 (Instrumental and Vocal Areas)*
- January 25, 2020 (Instrumental and Vocal Areas)*
- February 8, 2020 (Instrumental and Vocal Areas)
- February 22, 2020 (Instrumental and Vocal Areas; for Admission Only)
*To be considered for the Hayes Young Artist Scholarships and to participate in the competition process, prospective students must audition on one of the "starred" dates.
Preparing for Your Audition
All students wishing to enter the Hayes School of Music must successfully complete an on-campus audition on their principal instrument or voice. Each academic area has specific requirements for this audition.
- Select your instrument and/or degree program below.
- Review what music you need to prepare, what items to bring and/or what activities you will be expected to complete during your visit.
- Schedule your audition. Click here to complete an audition form if you have an existing admission or scholarship application account, or to login using a social media account. Click here to establish an account and complete an audition form.
Your audition time will last about 10 minutes, but your visit includes much more. At a minimum, expect to spend 2-3 hours on campus. You will have opportunities to meet the dean, faculty and representatives from campus offices.
All instrumentalists will be required to complete an aural skills assessment on the day of the audition.
Janet Adams, Student Records and Recruitment
Hayes School of Music
Appalachian State University
Boone, North Carolina 28608