All students, regardless of their chosen program of study, must audition for admission to the Hayes School of Music.
Students do not need to be accepted to Appalachian to audition. However, if you are accepted to the Hayes School of Music you must also be accepted to Appalachian State University.
Audition & Scholarship Schedule
- December 3, 2016 (Instrumental Areas)*
- January 21, 2017 (Instrumental and Vocal Areas)*
- January 28, 2017 (Instrumental and Vocal Areas)*
- February 11, 2017 (Instrumental Areas)
- March 4, 2017 (Instrumental and Vocal Areas; for Admission Only)
*To be considered for the Hayes Young Artist Scholarship and Competition, and to participate in the competition process, prospective students must audition on one of the *starred* dates.
The first four audition dates, of the five, are "scholarship auditions" in that all prospective students come under scholarship consideration.
Prospective vocal students must complete the Vocal Audition form found on our audition page and submit appropriate audition material.
The vocal video submission deadline is Thursday, December 1, 2016 for consideration to audition on Saturday, January 21, 2017 or Saturday, January 28, 2017.
The vocal video submission deadline is Saturday, February 4, 2017 for consideration to audition on Saturday, March 4, 2017.
Preparing for Your Audition
All students wishing to enter the Hayes School of Music must successfully complete an on-campus audition on their principal instrument or voice. Each academic area has specific requirements for this audition.
- Select your instrument and/or degree program below.
- Review what music you need to prepare, what items to bring and/or what activities you will be expected to complete during your visit.
- Schedule your audition, if you haven't already.
- Remember to print out and complete this form (PDF, 86 KB) prior to your audition. Be sure to bring it with you.
Your audition time will last about 10 minutes, but your visit includes much more. At a minimum, expect to spend 2-3 hours on campus. You will have opportunities to meet the dean, faculty and representatives from campus offices.
All instrumentalists will be required to complete an aural skills assessment on the day of the audition.
Contact Ms. Janet Seatz, Student Records and Recruitment