All students, regardless of their chosen program of study, must audition for admission to the Hayes School of Music.
Students do not need to be accepted to Appalachian to audition. However, if you are accepted to the Hayes School of Music you must also be accepted to Appalachian State University.
Audition & Scholarship Schedule
- January 20, 2018 (Instrumental and Vocal Areas)*
- January 27, 2018 (Instrumental and Vocal Areas)*
- February 10, 2018 (Instrumental Areas)
- February 24, 2018 (Instrumental and Vocal Areas; for Admission Only)
*To be considered for the Hayes Young Artist Scholarship and Competition, and to participate in the competition process, prospective students must audition on one of the *starred* dates.
The first three audition dates, of the four, are "scholarship auditions" in that all prospective students come under scholarship consideration.
Prospective vocal students must complete the Vocal Audition form found on our audition page and submit appropriate audition material.
The deadline for the submission of vocal videos for prospective students wishing to audition on January 20, 2018 or January 27, 2018 is Thursday, December 7, 2017.
The deadline for the submission of vocal videos for prospective students wishing to audition on February 24, 2018 is Saturday, February 3, 2018.
Preparing for Your Audition
All students wishing to enter the Hayes School of Music must successfully complete an on-campus audition on their principal instrument or voice. Each academic area has specific requirements for this audition.
- Select your instrument and/or degree program below.
- Review what music you need to prepare, what items to bring and/or what activities you will be expected to complete during your visit.
- Schedule your audition, if you haven't already.
- Remember to print out and complete this form (PDF, 86 KB) prior to your audition. Be sure to bring it with you.
Your audition time will last about 10 minutes, but your visit includes much more. At a minimum, expect to spend 2-3 hours on campus. You will have opportunities to meet the dean, faculty and representatives from campus offices.
All instrumentalists will be required to complete an aural skills assessment on the day of the audition.
Contact Ms. Janet Seatz, Student Records and Recruitment