Experience the supportive and vibrant atmosphere of the Hayes School of Music by being a music Student for a Day! Observe an ensemble rehearsal. Attend classes in your area of interest. Observe or take a private lesson. Get to know the faculty, students, administration, and staff.
Student for a Day registration is closed for 2021-2022, but please check back in August for 2022-2023 visit information. We look forward to meeting you this Fall!
In order to participate in our Student for a Day program, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- You intend to major in music
- You are a junior or senior in high school or a college student wishing to transfer to Appalachian State University
- You can read music
- You provide the required two-week advance notice of your intended visit
Please note: You may only participate in our Student for a Day program one time.
A parent/guardian is required to attend the Student for a Day lesson/lesson observation and meeting with the degree coordinator for all students who are under the age of 18 and have not matriculated (confirmed to attend) Appalachian State University. The parent/guardian must remain in the room with the student and Hayes School of Music faculty member for the duration of the lesson and meeting.
Upon receipt of your application, a representative from the Hayes School of Music will contact you. You must supply a valid email address for you and your parent/guardian that you check regularly in order to receive your schedule for your Student for a Day visit. If you do not receive a message confirming your request to visit, please check your email spam folder.
How to Choose the Best Day to Visit
We want your Student for a Day visit to be as beneficial as possible. Please note the dates available for your Student for a Day visit during our spring semester.
- Spring 2022 - January 24 - April 21
Our Student for a Day program is available Monday-Thursday. Please note that Student for a Day visits will NOT be scheduled on Fridays since most of our ensembles and many of our classes do not meet on Fridays.
Visits may not be scheduled on the following dates:
- March 7-11 (spring break)
Best days to visit:
- Woodwind/Brass: Monday or Wednesday
- String: Tuesday or Thursday
- Voice: Monday or Wednesday
- Piano or Organ: Monday or Wednesday
- Percussion: Tuesday or Thursday
- Guitar: Tuesday or Thursday
- Prospective Music Therapy majors: Monday or Wednesday
- Prospective Music Education majors: Monday or Wednesday
- Prospective Music Industry Studies Manufacturing & Merchandising or Marketing & Promotion majors: Monday or Wednesday (fall) Tuesday or Thursday (spring)
- Prospective Music Industry Studies Recording & Production majors: Tuesday or Thursday
- Prospective Music Theory/Composition majors: Monday or Wednesday
- Prospective Sacred Music majors: Monday or Wednesday
A typical "Student for a Day" schedule lasts from 9:00-5:00. It is a full day of music classes, ensembles, lessons, and meetings. A lunch break will be included in your schedule. Campus tours should be scheduled on another date so that you can take full advantage of our offerings in the Hayes School of Music while you are here for your "Student for a Day" visit.
- Office of Admissions
- Office of Financial Aid
- On-Campus Parking Information
- Campus Maps
- Local Hotel and Dining Information
- Cannon Music Camp