Experience the supportive and vibrant atmosphere of the Hayes School of Music by being a music student for a day. Participate in an ensemble rehearsal. Attend classes in your area of interest. Observe or take a private lesson. Get to know the faculty, students, administration, and staff.
To be considered, you must meet all of the following qualifications:
- You can read music
- You are a junior or senior in high school or a college student wishing to transfer to ASU
- You intend to major in music
- You provide the required two-week advance notice of your intended visit
Please note: You may only participate in our Student for a Day program one time.
Upon receipt of your application, a representative from the Hayes School of Music will contact you. You must provide a valid e-mail address.
How to Choose the Best Day to Visit
We want your Student for a Day visit to be as beneficial as possible. The range of possible dates for your visit are as follows:
- Fall 2016 dates: August 29 - November 17
- Spring 2017 dates: January 25 - April 25
Our Student for a Day program is available Monday-Thursday. Student for a Day visits will NOT be scheduled on Fridays since most of our ensembles and many of our classes do not meet on Fridays.
Visits may not be scheduled during our University Holidays:
- September 5, 2016 - Labor Day
- October 13-14, 2016 - Fall Break
- November 23-25, 2016 - Thanksgiving Break
- March 13-17, 2017 - Spring Break
- April 17-18, 2017 - State Holidays
Here are recommended days of the week to visit based on your primary instrument and intended major:
- Woodwind/Brass: Monday or Wednesday
- Strings: Tuesday or Thursday
- Voice: Monday through Thursday
- Piano or Organ: Monday through Thursday
- Percussion: Tuesday or Thursday
- Guitar: Tuesday or Thursday
- Prospective Music Therapy majors: Mondays or Wednesdays
- Prospective Music Industry Studies Manufacturing & Merchandising and Marketing & Promotion majors: Mondays or Wednesdays
- Prospective Music Industry Studies Recording & Production majors Tuesdays or Thursdays
- Prospective Music Theory/Composition majors: Mondays or Wednesdays
- Prospective Sacred Music majors: Tuesdays or Thursdays
A typical "Student for a Day" schedule lasts from 9:00-5:00. It is a full day of music classes, ensembles, lessons, and meetings. A lunch break (with a Hayes School of Music student when possible) will be included in your schedule. Campus tours should be scheduled on another date so that you can take full advantage of our offerings in the Hayes School of Music while you are here for your "Student for a Day" visit.
- Office of Admissions
- Office of Financial Aid
- On-Campus Parking Information
- Campus Maps
- Local Hotel and Dining Information
- Cannon Music Camp