The minor will consist of 16 semester hours in music. Remedial classes will not apply toward the minor.
All students interested in pursuing a Music minor must audition successfully. For audition requirements and to schedule an audition (normally to occur after a student begins studies at the University), please contact Janet Seatz at the number below.
Janet Seatz, Student Records and Recruitment
Hayes School of Music
Appalachian State University
Boone, North Carolina 28608
- MUS 1000 Elements of Music Theory 3 s.h.
- MUS 1001 Music Theory 2 s.h.
- MUS 1007 Aural Skills 2 s.h.
- Applied Music (minimum of) 4 s.h. (Attainment of Level I)
- Ensembles 4 s.h. (1 hr. per ensemble)
- Electives in Music 4-5 s.h. (As approved by the Dean)
- MUS 1500 Performance Seminar minimum of 2 semesters
Recommended to satisfy General Education humanities requirement:
- MUS 2011 Analyzing Form and Style 3 s.h.
- MUS 2014 Jazz Music in American Society 3 s.h.
- MUS 2015 History of Rock Music 3 s.h.
- MUS 2016 Appalachian Music 3 s.h.
- MUS 2018 Intro to World Music 3 s.h.