Apply & Audition
Application and audition Information for graduate applicants can be found here.
All students applying for undergraduate admission to the Hayes School of Music degree programs must the following:
Note: Incoming first-year and transfer students, along with current ASU students, who wish to audition for Spring 2021 admission to the Hayes School of Music should contact the applied area faculty member to schedule an online audition. Current ASU students who wish to audition for Fall 2021 admission to the Hayes School of Music should also contact the applied area faculty member to schedule an online audition. The guitar area is currently not auditioning Music Industry Studies applicants for spring admission.
For Fall 2021
- Apply for admission to Appalachian State University. Students do not need to be accepted first to Appalachian to audition.
- Complete the two-part audition process.
Due to the current COVID-19 situation, all our auditions for the 2020-2021 Academic Year will be held online. Your audition is a two-part process:
- Submit video recordings of required audition repertoire materials and any additional required materials for your degree program of interest through your MyMountaineer portal. For guidelines on recording your online audition videos, please visit our Preparing, Recording, and Submitting your Audition page. If your degree program of interest requires an interview, you will also be able to select your same-day interview time in your MyMountaineer portal.
- Attend the online portion of your audition at audition date and time.
- During your online audition, our faculty will hear the technique portion of your audition and administer the aural skills assessment. Technique Requirements are outlined on the respective Audition Requirements page. Our faculty will also have a brief conversation with you to get to know you and answer any questions you may have.
- Complete any required interviews.
Note: Some degree programs require additional materials to be submitted through your MyMountaineer portals too. Please review our Additional Degree Programs Requirements page for more information.
We invite you to join us on our MusiConnect program designed to provide you with opportunities to explore the Hayes School of Music online and to connect with our faculty.
Online Audition Dates & Deadlines for Fall 2021
The Hayes School of Music announces the addition of a fifth audition date on Saturday, March 13, 2021. Students wishing to audition for the School of Music may now submit their audition materials through their MyMountaineer portal. The deadline for the submission of audition materials is Monday, Feb 22, 2021.
If you are currently enrolled in Appalachian State University and wish to audition, you must contact appropriate studio faculty for instructions for how to submit your audition materials. For further information, please contact Ms. Janet Adams with any questions.
Please note that all students must successfully complete an audition in order to enter degree programs in the Hayes School of Music.
There are five online auditions dates
- January 23, 2021
- January 30, 2021
- February 13, 2021
- February 27, 2021
- March 13, 2021
All previous audition submission deadlines have passed. However, students that submit their audition materials by February 22, 2021 will be considered for the March 13, 2021 audition date.
Music Scholarship Information and Deadline
All students auditioning for the Hayes School of Music are considered for music scholarships.. There is no separate application process or deadline to be eligible for a music scholarship. However, students are strongly encouraged to audition as early as possible to qualify for all available music scholarships. Students that audition after our online audition dates typically do not qualify for music scholarships. Due to the limited number of available music scholarships, music minors do not qualify for music scholarships.