Apply & Audition
All students applying for admission to the Hayes School of Music degree programs must
- Apply for admission to Appalachian State University. Students do not need to be accepted first to Appalachian to audition.
- Complete the two-part audition process.
Due to the current COVID-19 situation, all our auditions for the 2020-2021 Academic Year will be held online. Your audition is a two-part process:
- Submit video recordings of required audition repertoire materials and any additional required materials for your degree program of interest through your MyMountaineer portal. For guidelines on recording your online audition videos, please visit our Preparing, Recording, and Submitting your Audition page. After your submissions have been reviewed by our faculty, you will be able to select your audition date and time. Since an interview is required for Music Therapy and Music Education prospective majors, you will also be able to select your same-day interview time in your MyMountaineer portal.
- Attend the online portion of your audition at audition date and time.
- During your online audition, our faculty will hear the technique portion of your audition and administer the aural skills assessment. Technique Requirements are outlined on the respective Audition Requirements page. Our faculty will also have a brief conversation with you to get to know you and answer any questions you may have.
- Complete required interviews for Music Therapy and Music Education prospective majors.
Note: Some degree programs require additional materials to be submitted through you MyMountaineer portals too. Please review our Additional Degree Programs Requirements page for more information.
We invite you to join us on our MusiConnect program designed to provide you with opportunities to explore the Hayes School of Music online and to connect with our faculty.
Online Audition Dates & Deadlines
There are four online auditions dates
- January 23, 2021
- January 30, 2021
- February 13, 2021
- February 27, 2021
Your video recording submissions will determine which online audition dates are available to you. To be able to choose from the January audition dates, you must submit your video recordings by Tuesday, December 1, 2020. To be able to choose from February audition dates, you must submit your video recordings by Monday, January 4, 2021.
Music Scholarship Information and Deadline
All students auditioning for the Hayes School of Music are considered for music scholarships. There is no specific music scholarship deadline. However, students are strongly encouraged to audition as early as possible to qualify for all available music scholarships. Students that audition after our online audition dates typically do not qualify for music scholarships. Due to the limited number of available music scholarships, music minors do not qualify for music scholarships.