Appalachian Community Orchestra
The Appalachian Community Orchestra welcomes musicians of all orchestral and band instruments to make music, build teamwork, learn technique, and perform a concert each semester! Offered through App State CMS and directed by Watauga High School orchestra and band directors Mr. Will Selle and Ms. Taryn Wooten, the ACO is an ensemble that draws from the whole community. From middle schoolers (12+) to adults, this is a great opportunity for those who can read music and have at least 2 years' playing experience to dive into challenging repertoire in a supportive environment.
College students are invited to join! This is a great way to keep up a passion for playing and/or get performance experience on a secondary instrument. (Please note that all participants must register on this page each semester, and that ACO is not for course credit.)
- Age: 12-adult.
- Instructors: Will Selle and Taryn Wooten
- Experience: 2 years of playing experience is recommended.
- Price: $0-$275 with Pay What You Can options
- Location: Broyhill Music Center, Room 119 (Spencer Rehearsal Hall)
- Times: 6:30pm on Thursdays. Class will meet 12 times starting September 8.
- All participants must register on this page, whether App State/HSOM students, community members, or youth. The registration link will be posted on this page in August.
- Participants should plan to attend all rehearsals, since all instrument parts are needed for the other members of the orchestra to rehearse effectively. However, App State students should prioritize their main ensemble obligations if those occasionally conflict with ACO, notifying the ACO conductors beforehand if they must miss a rehearsal.
Participants will need to bring their own instruments.
Meet Our Staff
|Will Selle, Instructor||Taryn Wooten, Instructor|
Register here! > https://appstate.irisregistration.com/Form/ACOBooneFall22
- Choose from our "Pay What You Can" options in registration. Your selection will be kept private.
- If you do not have an Iris account, you will need to create one (tutorial here).
- If asked for a code, enter ACOBooneFall22.
- An adult will need to complete the registration. To register another participant in your family, click “Create Additional Registration”
- For musicians under 18, a parent/guardian will need to fill out the Youth Participant Drop-off and Pick-up Form - Fall 2022 (Google Form) before the first class.
- Please come a few minutes early to the first class to fill out the Paper Packet, including a photo/video/audio release that allows us to live-stream a video of the concert for everyone. We will provide blank copies. You can preview or print the Paper Packet here: Youth Packet // Adult Packet
Connect with CMS!