Appalachian Youth Chorale
The Appalachian Youth Chorale is a choral ensemble consisting of 12 weekly group sessions and occasional sessions for individual students. We will work on confidence while singing alone and in a group, explore and learn songs from a variety of cultures and genres, and culminate the session with a final sharing for the class - all in a fun and engaging environment.
In addition to the main class sessions, students will receive two 20-minute sessions of personalized instruction during the semester.
- Age: 7-14 (students age 15-18 may join as High School Mentors)
- No prior singing experience is necessary.
- Instructor: Dr. Meg Stohlmann in partnership with the Hayes School of Music
- Price: $0-$275, now with easier Pay What You Can options!
- Location: Broyhill Music Center
- Times: 5:00-5:50pm on Tuesdays. Class will meet 12 times from February 1 through May 3 (no class on March 8 and April 19).
- Parents/guardians wishing to park on campus before 5:00 will need to purchase a parking pass ($46/semester, available in registration). If you have purchased a visitor parking pass in registration, please pick it up at the Office of Conference and Event Services (located on the 2nd floor of 400 University Hall Drive, Boone, NC 28607) prior to your first class. Please contact Carrie Henderson (email@example.com, (828)262-2530) to ensure that your parking pass is ready for pickup .
- Music will be provided.
- Please bring your own face covering.
Meet Our Staff
|Dr. Meg Stohlmann, Conductor and Artistic Director||Mr. Brandon Winbush, Assistant Choral Director and Collaborative Pianist|
Visit us again in August 2022 to register for Fall programs!
- Choose from our "Pay What You Can" options in registration. Your selection will be kept private.
- If you do not have an Iris account, you will need to create one (tutorial here).
- If asked for a code, enter AYCBoone22.
- A parent/guardian will need to complete the registration. To register another student in your family, click “Create Additional Registration”
- A parent/guardian will need to fill out the Youth Participant Drop-off and Pick-up Form (Google Form) before the first class.
- Please come a few minutes early to the first class to fill out a Paper Packet with the student. We will provide blank copies. You can preview the Paper Packet here.
Connect with CMS!
What to Expect
When you come to a rehearsal with the Appalachian Youth Chorale, you will experience a fun and fast-paced rehearsal that focuses on developing musicianship skills along with vocal skills. We learn the basics of music note reading, utilizing solfege to learn how to sing music by sight. Additionally, we have fun exploring our voices and learning how to work together as a group. The rehearsal is a safe space for everyone to learn and grow in a positive environment. We sing a variety of music to include songs from around the world and from different time periods. We like to move and express music with our whole bodies. We teach performance etiquette and discipline but in a positive way that still allows for self expression. Above all, we are a place for young musicians to sing, inspire and celebrate their unique voices!
Thank You to the Watauga Arts Council and NC Arts Council!
The Spring 2021 semester of the Appalachian Youth Chorale, held online over Zoom, was supported by a Grassroots Grant! This project was funded through the Watauga County Arts Council, a Designated County Partner of the North Carolina Arts Council (www.NCArts.org). CMS would like to thank Amber Bateman, Executive Director of the Watauga Arts Council, and the WAC team for making this grant possible!