Appalachian Youth Chorale
The Appalachian Youth Chorale is a choral ensemble consisting of 12 weekly group sessions. We will work on confidence while singing alone and in a group, explore and learn songs from a variety of cultures and genres, and culminate the session with a final sharing for the class - all in a fun and engaging environment.
- Age: 7-14 (students age 15-18 may join as High School Mentors)
- No prior singing experience is necessary.
- Instructor: Mr. Brandon Winbush with collaborative pianist Dr. Elizabeth Salter
- Price: $0-$275 with Pay What You Can options
- Location: Broyhill Music Center
- Times: 5:00pm on Tuesdays. Class will meet 12 times from September 6 through Nov. 29 (no class on Oct. 12).
- Music will be provided. Students will be issued a folder with their music.
Parking: If you would like to park on campus before 5:00, you will need to purchase a visitor parking pass ($46/semester). After completing your registration, pick up your pass at the Office of Conference and Event Services prior to your first class. Conference and Event Services is located on the 2nd floor of 400 University Hall Drive, Boone, NC 28607. Please call Katie Jensen (email@example.com, 828-262-6568) before visiting to be sure someone will be ready to give you your pass.
Meet Our Staff
|Mr. Brandon Winbush, Choral Director||Dr. Elizabeth Salter, Collaborative Pianist|
Register here! > https://appstate.irisregistration.com/Form/AYCBooneFall22
- Choose from our "Pay What You Can" options in registration. Your selection will be kept private.
- If you do not have an Iris account, you will need to create one (tutorial here).
- If asked for a code, enter AYCBooneFall22.
- A parent/guardian will need to complete the registration. To register another student in your family, click “Create Additional Registration”
- A parent/guardian will need to fill out the Youth Participant Drop-off and Pick-up Form - Fall 2022 (Google Form) before the first class.
- Please come a few minutes early to the first class to fill out a Paper Packet with the student. We will provide blank copies. You can preview the Paper Packet here.
Connect with CMS!
What to Expect
When you come to a rehearsal with the Appalachian Youth Chorale, you will experience a fun and fast-paced rehearsal that focuses on developing musicianship skills along with vocal skills. We learn the basics of music note reading, utilizing solfege to learn how to sing music by sight. Additionally, we have fun exploring our voices and learning how to work together as a group. The rehearsal is a safe space for everyone to learn and grow in a positive environment. We sing a variety of music to include songs from around the world and from different time periods. We like to move and express music with our whole bodies. We teach performance etiquette and discipline but in a positive way that still allows for self expression. Above all, we are a place for young musicians to sing, inspire and celebrate their unique voices!
Thank You to the Watauga Arts Council and NC Arts Council!
The Spring 2021 semester of the Appalachian Youth Chorale, held online over Zoom, was supported by a Grassroots Grant! This project was funded through the Watauga County Arts Council, a Designated County Partner of the North Carolina Arts Council (www.NCArts.org). CMS would like to thank Amber Bateman, Executive Director of the Watauga Arts Council, and the WAC team for making this grant possible!