The Appalachian Chorale is a large choral ensemble open to all students, faculty, and members of the High Country community, with no audition required. The Chorale provides an opportunity for musical growth and enjoyment through the rehearsal and performance of choral masterworks. Any interested singer who can read music and carry their part in four-part harmony is encouraged to join.
The Appalachian Chorale is directed by Dr. DaVaughn L. Miller, Associate Professor of Music (Gospel Choir and Choral Ensembles)! A two-time App State alum, Dr. Miller has conducted the App State Gospel Choir in prior years and and now conducts the Gospel Choir, Appalachian Chorale, and Glee Club.
In Fall 2023, we will be rehearsing Carl Orff's Carmina Burana for a February performance! We have had record interest in the Appalachian Chorale this semester, with up to 110 people who may be joining us! When you arrive on the 2nd floor in our usual area, you may find us singing in more than one room for some rehearsals.
The registration period for Appalachian Chorale is in August and January of each year. Visit this page at those times to join the Appalachian Chorale.
Fall 2023 registration will be available on this page shortly before the first rehearsal (August 21). Members from the past semester will receive an email when it is time to register, as will anyone who has submitted the Interest Form.
Community members will register for the Appalachian Chorale through the Community Music School.
- Conductor: Dr. DaVaughn Miller
- Rehearsal Times: 7:00-9:00pm on Mondays beginning August 21. The ensemble follows the Appalachian State University semester schedule.
- Please come to the first rehearsal at 6:45 in order to complete the photo/video/audio release. You can preview the form here. Concerts will be live-streamed on the Hayes School of Music website.
- Appalachian Chorale members may park between 6:30-7:00 on Mondays without needing a parking pass or receiving a ticket.
- Holiday Concert - December 1, 2023 at 7:30 pm
- Next semester we will perform Carmina Burana, which we are rehearsing this semester, on February 10, 2024 at 7 pm.
- Location: Room 214 of the Broyhill Music Center
- App State students' participation is part of their college tuition.
- Our current price for community members to participate is $75.00 per semester.
- For need-based pricing options, see "Pricing and Payment" below.
- Participants are expected to attend all rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and performances.
- A syllabus will be provided by the first rehearsal.
- High school students (14-18) may join with the approval of the App Chorale director. Interested high school students should email Dr. DaVaughn Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org) for permission prior to registration.
Looking for a choral opportunity for youth ages 7-14? Join the Appalachian Youth Chorale!
App State students (all majors), to have this class counted as one of your courses, you will need to register for Appalachian Chorale (MUS 1109) through Appalnet. For questions about registering as an App State student, contact the music office at email@example.com.
Community Member Registration and Payment Link:
- If asked for a code, enter AppChoraleFall23.
- For technical help with Iris Registration forms, please contact Katie Jensen (firstname.lastname@example.org, 828-262-6568) in the Office of Conference and Event Services.
- See "Pricing and Payment" below for more about the pricing options.
- For participants under 18 (accepted with permission of instructor), a parent or guardian must fill out the Youth Form before the first rehearsal.
Pricing and Payment
The Hayes School of Music and the Community Music School welcome you to the Appalachian Chorale and request your help in making this program sustainable! Our current price for community members to participate is $75.00 per semester.
Opening this college course to community members costs the Hayes School of Music, Community Music School, and App State $150 per participant. Providing a meaningful and focused experience for a class of this size takes additional work and supplies beyond that budgeted for the regular college class in areas such as sheet music, assistants, pianist(s), faculty, staff, and administration. For comparison, tuition for an App State student taking this class for credit is $224.
We ask each community participant to pay $75 in order to help support these costs.
We are still testing a model in which scholarships for group programs are available based on the honor system. During registration, much like last semester, you will be able to select a payment amount from the options below:
- Pay $150 - Cover all costs for your participation (thank you!)
- Pay $75 - Suggested contribution per person
- Pay $25 - Need-based pricing option
Participants needing the full amount waived should begin their registration and then contact Katie Jensen at Conference and Event Services (email@example.com / (828) 262-6568) so she knows to waive the $25 minimum before you complete registration. Currently, no application is needed for this.
Parking for Appalachian Chorale
In general, Appalachian State University now charges for parking before 7:00pm; however, Appalachian Chorale participants parking in lots near the Broyhill Music Center (Broyhill, Schaefer, or Peacock lots) after 6:30 on Mondays will not need a parking pass nor receive a parking ticket. This is to allow members time to find parking and get settled before the 7:00 start time. This exception is just for App Chorale and does not apply to other days and times of the week.