Appalachian Symphony Orchestra
The Appalachian Symphony Orchestra is the cornerstone orchestral ensemble at the Hayes School of Music and is led by our mission statement: Making Magic, Changing Lives, Forging Opportunity. Students in the ensemble give compelling, vital performances of repertoire that stretches from the baroque to today's living composers. We believe in the fundamental principle that making music is a social, essentially human endeavor. Our performances and rehearsal process are notable for combining generosity of spirit and irrepressible enthusiasm with intellectual curiosity, contemplation and global awareness.
Community Member Registration
If you are a community member (not App State student) interested in playing in the Appalachian Symphony Orchestra, please...
- Contact Dr. Alexandra Dee (firstname.lastname@example.org) to find out if the ASO has openings for your instrument.
- If so, promptly reserve an audition time (August 20 or 21) through the process shown for your instrument on the Ensemble Auditions page.
- Prepare your music and play your audition.
- Once you receive word that your audition for ASO was successful, visit this page again on August 22 and register.The registration link will be posted at that time.
- Registration through the Community Music School is required for community members (non-students, new or returning) playing in ASO.
- Email email@example.com for questions about registration (but not auditions).
- Complete and turn in the paper permission forms for this semester: Youth Packet or Adult Packet.
The Community Music School also offers the Appalachian Community Orchestra (6:30-7:20 on Thursdays), which is open to ages 12-adult and does not require an audition.
Schedule, Payment, and Parking
- All App State students (regardless of major) should register for ASO through Appalnet instead of through the Community Music School.
- All participants are expected to attend all rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and performances.
- Location: Room 119 of the Broyhill Music Center
- Times: 3:30-5:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, beginning August 23. ASO follows the Appalachian State University semester schedule.
- Price: Select from “Pay What You Can” options of $0-$175.
- Parking: Community participants wishing to park on campus before 5:00 will need to purchase a parking pass ($46/semester, available in registration). If you have purchased a visitor parking pass in registration, please pick it up at the Office of Conference and Event Services (located on the 2nd floor of 400 University Hall Drive, Boone, NC 28607) prior to your first class. Please contact Katie Jensen (firstname.lastname@example.org, 828-262-6568) to ensure that your parking pass is ready for pickup.